Thursday, November 10, 2005

Tribulations of tee shirt reading

I try not to read tee shirts because too often someone puts all this work into cultivating an interesting look, then defines his/her entire image on one sentence.

It is sentences on shirts that are the problem. A word or sentence fragment is fine and almost unavoidable while shirt shopping. However complete albeit empty thoughts like “Defend Brooklyn” worn by wealthy transplants, bring up questions like “Is Brooklyn yours to defend?” Maybe “take over Brooklyn” would be more honest. But recently I saw a shirt that sent me running home to proof read all my cloths. It said “I did your boyfriend” and was worn by a pregnant women. Maybe she got the joke and was just super ironic. Maybe she’s so ironic that she got the shirt, then screwed someone’s dude just to be walking, breathing irony. I’ll give her the benefit of the doubt. However, I hereby pledge abstain from full-sentence-shirts in the future.

No comments: