Friday, October 28, 2005

Nicknames from Worst to First

First, the worst: Scooter Libby.

I know this may feel like a cheap time to belittle the man for his name. After all most of us aren't responsible for our nicknames anyway. So in the sake of fairness let's put aside that 'scooter' to me connotes motorbikes that swarthy European men drive while they nearly hit me as I wander lost through their nation's capitals. Let's put aside that, while the Europeans do not swerve to miss me, they do manage to hit me with a cigarette butt, and steal my girlfriend. But let us not forget that Scooter was among the men who defrauded their way to our war.

And let's question how a man who has committed indictable offenses in the service the president, and whose last name sounds oddly like the recent patriarch of presidential, staff conspirators, G. Gordon Liddy, ended up with a nickname that replaces his first name. Scooter's real name, Lewis is fine. It's that Libby-Liddy thing that might need covering up.

For those of you who question my legitimacy in the blogosphere, I'd like you to take note of the time and day of this posting.

More on nicknames to come.

No comments: